Follow these steps to paint linseed oil paint the right way:
- Make sure the substrate is clean, dry and properly prepared according to the instructions in the article "Preparation before painting with linseed oil paint. "
- Stir the paint well before use. Lift off any skin from the surface.
- Use a suitable linseed oil paint brush. See our article " Brushes, Tools & Accessories for Linseed Oil Paint " for more information on which brushes are best suited.
- When you paint on the paint - thin, thin in even layers. Linseed oil paint covers very well. Several thin layers give a more durable and attractive result than a thick layer.
- Allow each layer to dry thoroughly before applying the next layer. Drying time may vary depending on color, temperature and humidity.
- Once you have achieved the desired coverage and color depth, allow the paint to dry completely before using or stressing the surface.
Techniques for achieving different effects with linseed oil paint
Depending on the type of result you want to achieve with your linseed oil paint, there are different techniques you can use:
Lasering is a technique where a transparent or semi-transparent color is applied over another color to create depth and dimension. This can be done with linseed oil paint to create interesting visual effects.
By varying the pressure on the brush and using different brush sizes, you can create different textures and effects on the surface. This can add a more rustic or hand-painted feel to your project.
Ironing is a technique that involves applying the paint with a brush and then running a dry brush over the wet paint to create texture and movement. This can create a more vibrant and dynamic surface with linseed oil paint.
Frottage is a technique where you apply the paint to the surface and then lay a paper, plastic film or other material on top of the wet paint. You then press on the material and pull it away to create texture and patterns on the surface. This can create unique and creative effects with linseed oil paint.
Applying linseed oil paint requires a certain technique and knowledge to achieve the best possible results. By following the steps in this guide and experimenting with different techniques, you can create beautiful and durable surfaces with linseed oil paint. Remember to always prepare the substrate properly and to use the right brushes and tools for best results.On to the next step: Brushes, Tools & accessories for linseed oil paint →